Thursday, September 11, 2008

Swimming Iguanas

"Aruba, Jamaica, Baby why don't we go???"

I am surrounded by awesome-ness. My awesome husband let me go to awesome Aruba with my awesome friend (without him or the kids). I am awed. The trip was so much fun! Jen and I sunbathed (with very high SPF, Mom!), ate, read, slept, and shopped to our heart's content. Good times. All the makings of a great and relaxing vacay. We explored the island (took a day; it's tiny), snorkeled, and parasailed. We did our best to keep the local Baskin Robbins in business for the week we were there.

That was my first Caribbean experience. I loved Aruba, but not sure it will be a repeat vacation destination for me. There are so many islands out there to discover. Aruba is a desert island, so it's not as green or wet as Hawaii. It was still lovely and fun, though. Iguanas rule over there, every size you can think of. We had to look down and watch where we walked so Iguana Joe didn't get his tail stepped on. I did have one huge guy jump into the swimming pool about 2 feet in front of me and swim to the other side of the pool. Who knew iguanas could swim?

I did have some mishaps on the trip. For some reason, I get sick on every big (and by big I mean, non-family) vacation I take. The two exceptions are my trips to Hawaii with Scott. I guess that is the universe telling me not to leave my hubby at home. ;-> So for the Aruba trip, I had an internal infection, strep throat, fever, contact dermatitis, and a bruised and swollen knee from being a klutz. Good thing Aruba has good (prescription) drugs! Thankfully Jen was incredibly patient with me and my issues.
The only time I will ever post a pix with me in a swimming suit.
The snorkeling was awesome.
Jen and I at Baby Beach.
Jen got creative with her photo skills. Nothing like a beautiful Caribbean sunset through the feet!
Me complaining of all my mishaps. Sniffle, sniffle.
For more photos and Jen's version of the trip, feel free to visit her blog at http://jen.cloes.net/.

10 comments:

diane said...

What a fun adventure. Sorry you wern't feeling 100%. Love the snorkeling picture.

Harper Family said...

Very cool pictures!! I'm glad you were able to get away and I'm really happy about my little present. Thank you!!

ferntyler said...

You know it was fun when you can still talk about how fun it was when you weren't feeling great some of the time! Snorkeling is the best and the Caribbean has some of the coolest fish, love it..

Jen said...

I had an awesome time hanging with you in a desert paradise! I figure if you could put up with me kicking you in the middle of every night, I didn't mind spending a few minutes learning about Aruban pharmacy procedures. Thanks for all the laughs. It just wouldn't have been the same experience had I not gotten to see your face while trying to ignore the scantily clad European tourists!

Shelly said...

So jealous!!! I miss you Sunshine!!!! Guam is an Island like Hawaii!! Looks like you are coming to Guam. (o: Love ya!!! I will let you know when to kick those people out of my house!!!!!!!!!

lisa said...

ok, just imagine me on your left side in all of those pics (thats what i am doing) yay!! i'm glad it was great!!

Alicia said...

It looks like you at least had some fun even though you probably felt awful. :) So fun! I'm glad you enjoyed it (overall, of course)!

Jill said...

Sorry you got sick, but so happy that you got to go and have fun and then come home and be with your darlings. Excited to see you!

Sara LaClaire said...

are you pregnant? hahaha just thought i'd ask. ;D and kudos to scott. husband of the year award coming his way!

Dusty said...

Vacationing is such a pain isn't it? Perhaps you just need to be more stressed out while you vacation so your immune system won't let it's guard down in malaria-infected rainforests. Next time I'll come with the sole purpose of keeping your stress levels from dipping too low. That's what brothers are for, right?