Sunday, May 4, 2008

I don't want to jinx us, but...

I think Caden has finally mastered pooping in the potty! We started this long process called potty training in Jan, but he refused to go #2 in the toilet. I don't know why. We went through countless pairs of underwear. I bribed him with all sorts of things if he could just go stinky in the potty. Cars, cookies, a trip to Chuck E. Cheese, anything. I even bought a few "Cars" characters that were really hard to find (we have almost all of them), and told him he could have a car every time he was successful. Nothing worked. I was so frustrated that I considered putting him back in diapers. That, or ship him off to Grandma's house for the summer so she could try her luck. ;->
Then something clicked this week. He's been successful 4 times - yes, I'm counting and you would too! - and my stash of cars is down to the last one. I couldn't be happier. I'm hoping he's figured it out and soon I'll be able to start calming down the bribes a bit. Unless you find the "Bob Cutlass" or "Mario Andretti" car character for me.

6 comments:

Maree said...

Sunshine, I had the same problem with Hannah. After you give out your last bribe, you can put it in "time out" where Caden can see it, for a day when he has an accident--THAT really worked for us. Hannah was good enough to get the prize and then decided to quit, so the time out for the prize helped get her completely on board with the potty training. GOOD LUCK!!!

*star said...

HOORAY! I'm sure you are thrilled now that stinky poop pants are becoming a thing of the past...at least for this kid. High five, Caden!

Kierstin said...

Way to go Caden!! That is awesome! Yay Sunshine, I know how happy you must be-that is great!

Christin said...

Congrats! That's very exciting. I hope he'll keep it up.

Shelley said...

You must be so happy! Congrats! Halle had that same problem for awhile . . . it is so nice when the fear becomes a thing of the past.

Jen said...

Go Caden!!! Sunshine, I am so THRILLED for you! I am not quite sure how you survived that many stinky pants. Your a real trooper. Now Caden can go to school without anything for you to worry about!