Thursday, September 20, 2007

Are we ready for potty training??

Awhile ago, we bought Caden a little toilet for the impending journey known as potty training. I haven't been in any hurry to go there yet. I mean, Caden and Soleil are finally wearing the same size diapers! Anyways, we had the toilet, never used, in the guest bathroom, until we had guests stay. (This is the Bramwell Bed and Breakfast!) Being the wonderful host that I am, I tucked the still-pristine toilet away in Caden's closet. These poor guests don't want to stub their toe on the kid potty during a late-nite pee break, do they? Fast-forward to this morning. While Caden is getting dressed, he pulls out the toilet, asks to take off his diaper, and proceeds to pee into the toilet!!! I WAS SO EXCITED!!! (I know it's sad that a 2 year old's pee excites me so.) I didn't even mind that it was slightly weird that all this occurred in his bedroom. So I showed him how to wipe (little boys wipe after peeing, right? I seriously need a handbook!) and happily whisked the toilet away to sanitize and sterilize. Needless to say, this was a moment NOT to catch on film, but thought I would share anyways. Little boy underroos, here I come. Ok, moms of potty-trained kids.....how do I do this? I've heard of letting them walk around naked for a week (staying at home, obviously) while they figure this out. And buying tons of underwear and throwing them out when dirtied instead of trying to clean them. I need suggestions!!!

5 comments:

Jen said...

I have to first start by saying that just because I have potty trained 3 kids does in no way make me an expert! That said, what worked for my kids was persistence. They all got it once they truly believed that diapers were a thing of the past. With Brennan I was wishy washy for awhile. I would put underwear on him until he had an accident then I would freak out and put a diaper back on him. It wasn't until I put underwear on him and kept them on him, that he got it. For a few days he had some success' and some accidents. But I continued to wipe up the mess and put underwear back on him. With Bryce and Kelsie persistence worked like a charm. Good Luck!!

Watts Family said...

HMMM...We might have some time coming up here shortly to discuss this. Right? I am right there with you when it comes to both kids in the same size diapers. It makes it so gosh darn easy. Way to go Caden!

lisa said...

ok, i used the "potty train you child in just one day" book. it took WAY more than one day, but that was my method. that and the bare bottom method, it is exactly like it sounds. what more can i say? my prayers are with you!!

Jill said...

Yay for Caden! I don't have any advice to share, except consistency. Watching my nephew get potty trained by grandma and then undone by his mom was a nightmare! Good luck darling!

Lillie said...

Definitely no advice-- I'm coming to you later! Sounds like you got off to a good start-- good luck!

What a fun girl's weekend. You all look too cute-- and Sunshine-- I cannot believe how mouch Soleil looks like Caden! You make some perfect babies- that's for sure.