Wednesday, December 12, 2007

One of those days

It was one of those days. It really started out yesterday afternoon with Caden getting a fever and acting quite lethargic. I gave him some Tylenol and after his nap he seemed a lot better. Fast forward to this morning. We had just finished breakfast, which today for Caden meant all the marshmallows out of his Lucky Charms (bad mom, I know), when Caden coughed. Then threw up. All over himself, the Laz E Boy, his beloved blankets...you get the picture. I scurried around trying to bathe him, throw his blankets into the wash, and spot-treat the chair. Get him dressed, teeth brushed (not even the 3 year olds like the taste of vomit much), and settled in with a movie. Finally get everything taken care. Ok, breathe. Now Soleil wants a snack...no big deal right? After she's done, I'm getting her out of her chair and have her steadied with one arm when she loses her balance? throws herself back? still not sure what she did, but she falls back and goes down on the back of her head on the wood floor and electric train set underneath the tree. I finally get her calmed down...no bruises that I can see. Phew. I did get to talk to my dear cousin today. That was a highlight. Of course Soleil crashed into the coffee table and bonked her head, in the same spot as before, so our conversation was cut short. Congrats on Logan, Jill! I promise 2 kids does get easier....just don't put too much into this post! Usually the kids will nap at the same time in the afternoon, but today Soleil skipped her morning nap, which meant she went down at 11, which meant she woke up right when Caden went down for his nap. No break, and this mama NEEDS her breaks. I did finally squeeze in a shower and Hot Pocket at 12:30. Thankfully I did have an easy dinner planned...only to discover that the meat had gone bad. Had it really been over a week since I bought it? Breakfast burritos as Plan B!

I did try to put Soleil down for a second, really late nap, but 30 minutes of her crying/talking to herself/singing convinced me she wasn't going to fall asleep. (early bedtime anyone?) I walked into her room to find her half out of her shirt. This is the second time she's undressed herself during nap time. The first time she took off her pants. I thought it was so funny - here's a picture.
After the frustrating and sometimes scary day I had with these two, this reminded me why I do this day in and day out. And love it - for the most part. (I could do without the vomit.)

9 comments:

*katie said...

Oh wow. You've had quite the past 2 days!! I so don't look forward to vomit...baby barf--fine. But kid vomit...ick. I don't even like the word! I hope tomorrow goes better for you!

lisa said...

i'll pray for you.

Jen said...

I am so sorry...I hate days like that. It is so good that you get to look forward to jumping in the freezing pool bright and early in the morning....I am SO kidding. Hang in there!

Kierstin said...

I am so sorry, that is a very difficult and mentally and emotionally exhausting day! I am hoping that today is going better and that Caden is feeling better and that nobody else gets it. The picture of Soleil is SO cute and sweet...she would make my day better too-what a cutie!

Jill said...

Thanks for the advice and the pep yesterday. I know I will make it through this phase now, and onto your phase...but eventually we'll have empty houses, and be sad that the time had passed. Of course, then we won't have saggy girls anymore, but we'll talk about that later. I did get a nap today and a chance to snuggle Logan which always makes me remember that I do love him so much. Love you!

Alicia said...

Oh what a day. Like we were talking about last week: I'm not sure how people have more than one of these little things! They can be a lot of work! Let me know if you ever need anyone to come hang out and talk to! (or just be an extra hand). It might be fun!

Harper Family said...

Yeow!! Being a mom is the hardest job ever. I like lisa's comment.

jenn said...

SUNSHINE! I cannot believe I came across your blog...it is so good to see how you are and what you are up to! Your family is BEAUTIFUL! I hope you have a fantastic weekend :)
jenn (croft)

Watts Family said...

Ha, Ha... I had breakfast burritos for dinner tonight. Gotta love those. Pancakes are another great one. I just received your Christmas card. I LOVE IT!