Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Potty Training

Oh, it's been a long couple of weeks. Good, but long. Why, you ask? (not really unless you ignored my title) We started potty training a week and a half ago. Caden's been pretty good. If I take him to the bathroom every hour then we are ok. But he doesn't ever initiate wanting to go on the toilet. Quite the contrary, sometimes he's kicking and screaming not to go. Then there is #2. Everyday he goes in his pants - he hasn't made that connection yet to go in the toilet. So moms, another poll if you will. How do I help him go #2 in the potty and not his underwear? And will he initiate going to the potty by himself at some point? I realize it's only been 12 days, but it's been a long 12 days! I need to call the carpet cleaner!!
To top it all off, I started a diet. Now I'm not a big dieter. Never have been. In fact I think the only time I've ever been on one was Weight Watchers for a week. I lost 5 pounds and found out I was pregnant with Soleil. (you can't do WW while you are pregnant.) One of my dear college friends is getting married in March in Philly. We are going (yeah!), and since it's only an hour from Scott's parents, they are going to watch the kids for us. I'm excited - so fun! HOWEVER, there will a few other college friends at the wedding too. Now, maybe I am shallow, but I do not want to see these people while I am retaining this much extra weight. It's been 10 years (give or take a few) and I probably won't see them again, and this is not the lasting memory I want them to have. Vain and shallow, I know. But it's good motivation for me. My dear, dear friend Jen is a runner - like does marathons and stuff - and has graciously let me puff along beside her once a week so I can try to become more runner-ish. (Thanks to my bus accident, I run like a gimp. Seriously. I call it my whip-kick.) I will never be a runner, but I can aspire. And our swim class just started back up, so between that, running, and doing weights on Fridays, I can drop 15 pounds in 6 1/2 weeks, right? To show how serious I am about this - I SWITCHED TO DIET COKE. I can't stand Diet Dr. Pepper - I am a purist - so I had to switch to Coke. Or Pepsi - I don't care which one. But that is commitment on the highest level for me. (if you happen to own any stock in Dr Pepper, you might consider selling it. At least until mid-March when the wedding is over.) So far I am down 3 pounds. Very exciting. I'll keep you posted.
And a shout out to Diane! I am so excited you joined us bloggers now instead of stalking silently. You are hilarious, and I can't wait to see what comments you have for us all!

5 comments:

diane said...

Potty training is pointless. The only one trained is the Mom. Seriously, I tried all the gimmicks and books back in the day...when they are ready they just go. I did find peer pressure beneficial. Invite older, trained kids over and have them model their good behavior. With parents permission of course. This is hard but, wait til they learn to drive!!

Jen said...

I am so sorry potty training has been so hard. I know you are going to look fabulous for your friends wedding. I enjoy our workouts tremendously. Then again, I haven't jumped into a pool at the crack of dawn lately. See you bright and early tomorrow morning. There better be some serious steam coming off of that pool!!

diane said...

BTW, you look fabulous!!

Harper Family said...

Caden is doing wonderful!! Don't worry about #2--it will come. Remember the park? Chaz still has accidents. On the soda, get used to drinking diet forever. I could really go on and on about how bad regular soda is for you if you want to maintain your cute figure or lose weight(sorry it's a dietitian thing). It really makes a difference.

Jill said...

I suck at dieting, so I have no advice, and my garbage cans are full of diapers, as I spend most of my days changing them. I am hopeless for advice but full of cheers for you. GO SUNSHINE. SHAKE THAT BOOTY.(just had to go there)