Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

We got back from our holiday travels a couple of days ago, and I'm finally sitting down to the computer to check emails and pay bills. We had a fun albeit cold trip to Idaho to spend Christmas with my family. It snowed constantly! I have forgotten what a real winter is like in Idaho. The snow was beautiful, but brrr! Thankfully Scott was willing to do all the outside activities with Caden. We went up to my family's cabin in Island Park on Christmas Day and stayed the rest of our trip there. The snow is so deep at the cabin that if you walk off the porch, you don't sink down at all. (see picture!) The snow is packed down pretty well, or we could have lost Caden! He loved playing in the snow, but only for 15 minutes at a time. Then he'd be ready to come in and get warmed up again. Just like his mom! The real fun of our trip was when Scott and I stuck the snowmobiles in tons of snow. The kind where you step down, and lose your boot 2 feet down in snow as you pull your foot out again. We did manage to get both snowmobiles out finally! Then the next day on our drive back to IF, I got the Xterra stuck in a snow drift. Mind you, it's been over a decade since I drove in snow on a regular basis. I was trying to avoid on oncoming car and gave him too much room. My wheels caught the ice ridge on the side of the road and 100 feet later, we were stuck. Scott, Stormie and I dug for half an hour before some people stopped to help push. (Thank you!) The kids were thoroughly entertained watching our heads bob up and down, so they were great. After those 2 experiences, I am convinced I am a warm-weather gal. Sorry, Mom, you'll never get me closer to IF - it's too dang cold!




My brother Forest is on a mission right now, so my sister printed out a picture of his face and put it on a stuffed mannequin. So this is Forest enjoying the Christmas morning festivities. We miss you, Forest!!


Caden is totally into all things Polar Express right now. He tells everyone he meets about it! This is him opening up his big present from Santa, a Polar Express train set. You can see Gordon and Henry are already in his hands. (for those of you who don't know Thomas the Train characters, consider yourselves lucky!) If you look closely, you can see (part of) my present from my favorite blue box bling'ing on my wrist. Santa stopped at my favorite store before heading to Idaho. Thank you, Santa!!
I had to add this picture because it is so precious. Soleil is finally starting to like being read to. She and Scott read that book 10 times in a row. She loves her daddy! (And a shout out to Star, lounging on the LoveSac in the background. Happy grading papers!)
And yes, that is the Forest mannequin. He went to the cabin with us. I think he even went snowmobiling at one point. Shout out!!

8 comments:

*katie said...

Wow! What a fun trip you guys had. Not the getting stuck in the snow part though, I hope I never expereince that again in my life. I'm a Southern California girl through and through! Hey, one of these days I may try to actually come to the Tuesday playgroup...you know--now that I've moved 15 minutes away instead of 2! Can you keep me on the list? Thanks!

Alicia said...

It looks like so much fun! Caden must have had a blast in the snow! It must be fun that he's old enough now to enjoy it! So fun!

the Cardon Clan said...

Okay, Forest as a mannequin is hilarious! It's great that you could all get together for Christmas at your parents' cabin. That was fun a few summers ago when we had a family reunion there. It is a beautiful place!

Jill said...

Glad to know that Forest could be there in spirit...sort of. Tell me more about the bling. Looks good!

Jen said...

It sounds like you guys had an eventful trip. The mannequin is absolutely hilarious. I totally need to see your new bling!! Sounds like we need to have a ladies night out, so that you can model it for all of us.

lisa said...

santa was way better to you than to me. the better of my two presents was a hydrolic jack. yep. i'm happy you guys had so much fun! miss you!

Kierstin said...

Love that Forest got to be there too-that is so cute! Looks like you guys had a great Christmas and a wonderful time with your family!

Harper Family said...

I looked at the pictures first and thought that the head/body thing was weird. I kept looking at it but now after reading the text, I understand and I like the idea of printing someone's head on paper and making a mannequin. I'm like you I don't miss living in the cold. It's only nice to visit.